[Rd] Re: tail(<matrix>) column numbers

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Tue Jul 13 18:05:09 CEST 2004

It does seem useful to report original line numbers when tail() is used
interactively, but to do this properly, shouldn't it be done in "print"
method, rather than by adding row numbers to the data?  This is admittedly
difficult, because the tail method and the print method are completely
separate.  One could possibly do this by adding an additional attribute to
the object returned by tail (which presumably would be lost on further
subsetting), and modifying the relevant print methods to use such
information when it is present.

I suspect that the trouble may not be worth the effort in this particular
case, but nonetheless it still may be worth thinking about as an example of
the general problem of how reconcile what is convenient for interactive use
with what is convenient for programming use.  (Other examples of which have
resulted in permanent defects (IMHO) of the language, such as partial
matching for "$" and the default drop=T in subsetting.)

-- Tony Plate