[Rd] RE: [R] Strange (non-deterministic) problem with strsplit

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Sat Jul 17 01:59:17 CEST 2004

[Moving this thread to R-devel instead]

I suspect your "random" results are due to a bug in gsub(). On my R v1.9.0
(Rterm and Rgui) R crashes when I do

% R --vanilla
> gsub(" ", "", "abb + c | a*b", perl=TRUE)

Trying

> gsub(" ", "", "b c + d | a * b", perl=TRUE)

and I'll get NULL. With

> gsub("\\s", "", "bc + d | a * b", perl=TRUE)

it works as expected. So there is something buggy for sure.

This might have been fixed in R v1.9.1 or its patched version. (I'm still
busy to recover from a HDD crash, but, yes, I will update to Rv1.9.1. BTW,
what's the name of the error logger for Windows that is once in a while
recommended on this list and that gives more detailed errors than the
default Windows one?)

Cheers

Henrik