[Rd] Replying to bug reports

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Jul 17 10:03:24 CEST 2004

    Roger> I have a naive question here, but only because I've
    Roger> managed to screw this up twice in the last week.

    Roger> What is the correct way to reply to a bug report?

    Roger> Should r-bugs be in the To: or Cc: fields?  I
    Roger> originally thought that hitting "Reply" and stripping
    Roger> of the r-devel email address was sufficient but
    Roger> apparently not.

and be careful to keep the string '(PR#....)' as part of the
subject *)  That should really suffice.

Can you remind me of an example where it didn't?

Martin

*)
 Brian found it useful to move that string to the
 beginning of the subject line in those cases where that line
 has been relatively long -- since other people's mailers may
 break the line in two - which for the 'R-bugs' mail handler
 makes the 2nd part to be "not Subject" and leads to creation of
 another PR#.