[Rd] rsync -> cvs down?

Mon Jul 19 20:47:21 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 13:29, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Marc> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 12:38, Douglas Bates wrote:
>     >> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>     >>
>     >> > I am not able to access cvs via rsync today. Is the service down?
>     >>
>     >> Yes.  We should have sent email about it to r-devel but it has been a
>     >> hectic several days.
>     >>
>     >> The bad news is that the newly installed cvs.r-project.org machine,
>     >> which is also rsync.r-project.org, was compromised and we had to take it
>     >> off the net.
>     >>
>     >> The good news is that, thanks to heroic efforts by Martin Maechler and
>     >> Deepayan Sarkar, the CVS repository has been transformed to Subversion
>     >> and is available at http://svn.r-project.org/R/ (and at
>     >> https://svn.r-project.org/R/ but SSL is probably only needed by those
>     >> doing commits).  If you have a Subversion client (see
>     >> http://subversion.tigris.org - those using Windows may also want to look
>     >> at http://tortoiseSVN.tigris.org/) you can check out and update the
>     >> current r-devel from http://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/ and the current
>     >> R-patched from http://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-1-9-patches/
>     >>

>     Marc> Doug,
>
>     Marc> Thanks and thanks to Martin and Deepayan!
>
>     Marc> subversion is part of FC2 as is the svn client.
>
> Thanks, good to know.  It's also part of Debian "testing" and
> newer;  it's *not* part of RH Enterprise though.

subversion 1.0.2 ships with FC2 and subversion 1.0.4 is available via
yum/up2date repository updates. 1.0.5 appears to not have made it to the
FC update sites yet.

There is a security advisory for versions <= 1.0.4 at:

http://subversion.tigris.org/security/CAN-2004-0413-advisory.txt

> Installing it from source, http://subversion.tigris.org/
> is not hard.  The important thing for the R-project though is to
> use  "configure --with-ssl ...."
> because only then you get SSL support, i.e. only then you can use https://...
> which is (currently) absolutely required as I just said in
> another message on this thread.
>

>     Marc> Presuming that I am using the proper command:
>
>     Marc> svn co http://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-1-9-patches
>
>     Marc> Is the svn server down or is the command incorrect?
>
> Use 'https' instead of 'http'.
> This is a requirement for svn.r-project.org/    (on purpose).

Good idea.

Thanks Martin!

Regards,

Marc