[Rd] rsync -> cvs down?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Jul 19 21:57:07 CEST 2004

    Marc> Uwe,
    Marc> That did it.  Using https: I am now able to do a checkout.

    Marc> It seems to be slow at the moment, but the files are coming through.
	  ---------------------------------

that should have improved now.

The default apache2 configuration (for RH Enterprise) had
'KeepAlive Off'  which I now have replaced with 'On'.

For this to take effect, I had to restart the server --
this pretty brutally terminates all running svn requests, which
in this case lead to the need for "svnadmin recover"ing the
archive... Well, well, we're getting there eventually.
If anybody has good experiences to share about
Apache performance tweaking, please let me hear.

But note that the idea (of the server setup) really was to serve
R-core (and maybe ESS-core and maybe some really small few-person
collaboration projects).  If too many people (such as "hundreds
of R-devel readers") are going at the server it will become
pretty unusable, and I will have to make it accessible only
"non-anonymously"  {and find another one doing rsync...} eventually.

Martin Maechler