[Rd] Re: [R] adding option in the Windows installer for --internet2

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 26 18:07:08 CEST 2004

The direct connection provides you with better capabilities behind
firewalls if you set it up well enough.  It also has the advantage of
working the same way on all R platforms.

I don't agree with the basic premise:  --internet2 is only easier for
people whose sysadmins set up IE5/6 for them, and does not work with
authenticating proxies.  As it loads an alternative DLL, the choice needs
to be made before internet functions are first used.

We could make this a configure option, but why is it so hard to point
people at the rw-FAQ and ask them to follow the instructions there?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk