Platform-restricted packages (was Re: [Rd] RE: [Rcom-l] rcom 0.97 available for download)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 27 11:05:28 CEST 2004

This thread seems to have come to an end.  To attempt to summarize:

- It is a good idea to have a single source repository on CRAN.
- There are quite a few packages that are for Linux/Unix only (or a
  small subset of those), and a few which are Windows only.
- It would be helpful to mark these exceptions in the DESCRIPTION file.

It seems which are the exceptions and exactly what the restrictions are
needs human judgement (and normally depends on the non-availability of
other software, e.g. mim or Oracle).  Given that, we have to rely on the
package maintainers providing the information (possibly with a hint from
the CRAN maintainers if the package does not run on i386 Debian Linux).

[BTW, fork gtkDevice RmSQL RSvgDevice are examples of Linux/Unix only and
I think the complete such list is longer than the Windows-only one.]

The best I can come up with is an optional field (not SystemRequirements
as that is documented for something else), say OSRequirement with
suggested values `Windows' `MacOS X', `most useful under Windows' ....

BTW, SystemRequirements appears to be missing in almost all cases where it
is needed, and

regress/DESCRIPTION:SystemRequirements: R
spatialCovariance/DESCRIPTION:SystemRequirements: R

are not helpful.  Only two instances (out of five) seem useful, and I
think it should be used by at least

RArcinfo RODBC RMySQL ROracle RQuantLib RScaLAPACK RmSQL Rmpi RSvgDevice
gtkDevice hdf5 mimR ncdf rgdal rgl rimage rpvm rsprng udunits

This does not bode well for suggesting a new field.  I would find it more
helpful if these were resolved than if the OS dependencies were ....

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Dirk> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:40:46PM +0200, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>     >> Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>     >>
>     >> >On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:39:29AM -0400, Liaw, Andy wrote:
>     >> >
>     >> >>Would it make sense to have platform specific packages in a separate area
>     >> >>on
>     >> >>CRAN?  I don't know of anything other than Windows that understand COM.
>     >>
>     >> The question is: What exactly is platform-specific?
>
>     Dirk> Platform-specific means what it says -- works only on
>     Dirk> a given platform (or maybe a few).  Or are trying to
>     Dirk> pull a Clinton here: "it depends was your meaning of
>     Dirk> platform is" ? :)
>
>     >> >Yup, and 'core' CRAN contains at least one Windows-only
>     >> >package: rbugs [ as I found when working on a script to
>     >> >automagically build Debian packages from CPAN packages,
>     >> >the script is a modified version of Albrecht's script ]
>     >>
>     >> The author told me that rbugs is intended to work with WinBUGS under
>     >> wine on a linux system  (whereas I'm pretty sure R2WinBUGS is capable -

mimR is a better example, I think.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk