[Rd] dynamic creation of matrix objects (PR#7136)

cliff at research.telcordia.com cliff at research.telcordia.com
Tue Jul 27 21:47:39 CEST 2004

I am trying to assign the values in a matrix to an object whose name is
created dynamically, i.e., using eval-parse-text-paste sequence.  It
seems that only the very last value in the matrix is assigned to the new
object.  I have included an example below where I create a matrix object
called "aMat".  I can assign the contents of aMat to another object
called "thisMat."  However, when I attempt to make a similar assignment
to a new object called "thatMat", only the last value is returned, when
queried.  Does anybody know whether this is a bug...or am I doing
something wrong?

Cliff Behrens

 > aMat<- matrix(c(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8),ncol=2)
 > aMat
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]    1    5
[2,]    2    6
[3,]    3    7
[4,]    4    8
 > thisMat<- aMat
 > thisMat
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]    1    5
[2,]    2    6
[3,]    3    7
[4,]    4    8
 > tName<-"that"
 > eval(parse(text=paste(tName,"Mat <-",aMat,sep="")))
 > thatMat
[1] 8