[Rd] Re: [R] Help with a Lattice plot that fails with an empty unique combination

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 09:04:17 CEST 2004

This is surely a bug in jitter, which should pass through a 0-length input
unchanged as S does (and I will fix that).

I do wonder what jitter should do with a length-1 input.  It does change
it, using a rather arbitrary notion of the scale of the change (as does
S).  Given the description

     'jitter(x,...)' returns a numeric of the same length as 'x', but
     with an 'amount' of noise added in order to break ties.

it appears it should not change a length-1 input.

Opinions?