[Rd] Copyright issues question

Eric Lecoutre lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
Mon Jun 14 17:27:39 CEST 2004

Hi to the Devel list,

I am at present developping a little Excel add-in that would consist into a
translation of John Fox RCommander package.

The idea is to have R code that recreates within Excel the menus and some
VBA part that handles data input and outputs (those beeing redirected to
HTML and imported within Excel in a user-transparent way).

Actualy, a first beyta version of this add-in exists and has been tested
successfully on both Office 2000 and Office 2002, although John Fox didn't
success to make it work on his Office 2003.

We intended to deliver this add-in as a component of the Rcmdr package. But
Philippe Grosjean told me I may have problems with that as Excel is
definitively not GPL... In a way, this add-in provides the R/Rmcdr-power to
Excel.

What sort of exact problems can we expect to have? Should we consider to
propose this as Open Source and not GPL? Do we have to obtain the agreement
of the R Core Team?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Lecoutre
UCL /  Institut de Statistique
Voie du Roman Pays, 20
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

tel: (+32)(0)10473050
lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISpersonnel/lecoutre

If the statistics are boring, then you've got the wrong numbers. -Edward
Tufte