[Rd] lme4 fails to install on R-1.9/FreeBSD-5.2 (PR#7007)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 14:30:04 CEST 2004

Please send reports on contributed packages to the package maintainer
(Cc:ed here, but he is on leave this summer so don't expect a fast
response).

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 wb at arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de wrote:

> Full_Name: W.B.Kloke
> Version: 1.9.1

What about the package versions?

> OS: FreeBSD-5.2.1
> Submission from: (NULL) (195.253.16.182)
>

> Subject line says it. I had problems installing lme4.

Actually not (especially as there is no R-1.9).  I gather you had problems
installing Matrix, and the bug you found is in Matrix.

> 1. The dependency on package Matrix was not resolved (I am not sure that this is
> really a bug; but it is annoying, anyway).

I am not sure what you mean here.  It seems you did not install Matrix
first?  Did you expect install.packages() to do that for you?

> 2. Installing Matrix failed with a message saying something like "no rule for
> %_D.o"
> after compiling a lot of sources and combining them into an archive. I traced
> this down to a Linuxism. I found the string _D.o in subdirectory taucs of
> Matrix. Forcing GNU make by adding MAKE=gmake to the environment of R installed
> the package successfully. I consider this a real non-portability bug.

GNUism, I suspect.  There seem to be similar problems on Solaris.

make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 32: Extra `:', `::', or `:='
on dependency line
Current working directory /tmp/R.INSTALL.28676/Matrix/src/taucs

I managed to get this to compile and check (apart from some
documentation problems) with

        $(CC) $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(TDFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

%.o: %.c
        $(CC) $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(TGFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

(there is no TAUCS_G to worry about).

I am sure Dr Bates will appreciate your sending him a tested patch when
you get it working.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk