[Rd] problem with tilde expansion in install.packages

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Wed Jun 23 15:59:10 CEST 2004

In R 1.9.0 on Solaris/Sparc when I run, for example,
install.packages("gregmisc", "~/R-local/lib"), instead of installing
the `gregmisc' package in the directory
/users/student/rpeng/R-local/lib the package gets installed in
/users/student/rpeng/\~/R-local/lib, so the directory \~ is created in
my home directory.  This doesn't happen to me on Linux or Windows so I
thought it might not be an R problem.

I realize I'm referring to an older version of R but I was wondering
if anyone had seen this happen (perhaps on 1.9.1) or how I might
better pinpoint the problem.

 > version
          _
platform sparc-sun-solaris2.8
arch     sparc
os       solaris2.8
system   sparc, solaris2.8
status
major    1
minor    9.0
year     2004
month    04
day      12
language R

If it matters, I'm using tcsh (in /bin/tcsh).

-roger

--
Roger D. Peng
http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/