[Rd] Packages of snippets? (was: A way to list only variables or functions?)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Jun 24 04:51:23 CEST 2004

From:   Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch at pair.com>

>I do understand the feeling of
>writing a nice little function, and not knowing exactly what to do
>with it: CRAN is crowded, and it does seem that an entire package
>just to support one or two simple functions is a bit of overkill.

>Can we work out a way to publish such things? Here's a
>proposal, with some serious flaws listed below.
>Can someone fix them?

This would be a good job for a wiki.  The key advantage is it
requires minimal maintenance.

For an example of how this might work check out the code
samples (snippets) for the Lua language on their wiki at:

   http://lua-users.org/wiki/SampleCode

Actually there is already an R wiki at:

   http://fawn.unibw-hamburg.de/cgi-bin/Rwiki.pl?RwikiHome

however, no one seems to use it.  If a critical mass were to
post some code snippets it might get off the ground.