[Rd] Installer package destroys permission settings on /Applcations (PR#7025)

simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Sun Jun 27 17:52:15 CEST 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, at 9:41 AM, stefano iacus wrote:

> Thanks for raising this problem. I agree, the installer should not
> change the permissions on /Applications (but user can decide to
> install the application somewhere else and move it to /Applications
> later as a temporary solution)

I'd say that it shouldn't read "the installer should", but rather "the
package creator should" - again the package is very badly created -
same as the R 1.9.0 one and defies all mechanisms Apple provides in the
Installer. It's not a fault of the Apple's Installer but rather how the
package was created (Apple's Package Manager provides ways to set
rights correctly). Unfortunately the only way to get proper
installation of R (if you didn't build you own package) is to
re-compile it and use corresponding make install commands. I have
addressed this issue previously and even created a package template,
but sometimes things just don't change :(

Cheers,
simon