[Rd] Slow IO: was [R] naive question

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at evafunds.com
Wed Jun 30 03:46:08 CEST 2004

I believe IO in R is slow because of the way it is implemented, not
because it has to do some extra work for the user.

I compared scan() with 'what' argument set (which is, AFAIK, is the
fastest way to read a CSV file) to an equivalent C code. It turned out
to be 20 - 50 times slower.
I can see at least two main reasons why R's IO is so slow (I didn't
profile this though):
A) it reads from a connection char-by-char as opposed to the buffered
read. Reading each char requires a call to scanchar() which then calls
Rconn_fgetc() (with some non-trivial overhead). Rconn_fgetc() on its
part is defined somewhere else (not in scan.c) and therefore the call
can not be inlined, etc.
B) mkChar, which is used very extensively, is too slow. There are ways
to minimize the number of calls to mkChar, but I won't expand on it in
this message.

I brought this up because it seems that many people believe that the
slowness is inherent and is a tradeoff for something else. I don't think
this is the case.

Thanks,
Vadim