[Rd] cygwin tar?

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Tue Mar 16 19:32:56 MET 2004

I've been attempting to create a new R package and recently removed the
cygwin installation from my machine since R requires the use of the MingW
tools for building an R package with C code. However, when I tried to build
a source package, I found the following results:

* removing junk files
* building 'Rconifers_0.7-1.tar.gz'
tar: /cygdrive/C/usfs/psw_redding/software/current/Rconifers_0.7-1.tar:
Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: /cygdrive/C/usfs/psw_redding/software/current/Rconifers_0.7-1.tar:
Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: /cygdrive/C/usfs/psw_redding/software/current/Rconifers_0.7-1.tar:
Cannot open: No such file or directory
Rconifers_0.7-1.tar: No such file or directory

C:\usfs\psw_redding\software\current>

which looks like the cygwin path is hard coded into the build script for the
rcmd. I found the

 if($WINDOWS) {
     ## workaround for paths in Cygwin tar
     $filepath =~ s+^([A-Za-x]):+/cygdrive/\1+;
 }

in the build script and don't think it needs to be there since you can use
the tar utility that comes with mingw, yes? I replaced the previous chunk of
code with:

 if($WINDOWS) {
     ## workaround for paths in Cygwin tar
     $filepath =~ s+^([A-Za-x]):+/\1+;
 }

which has solved the problem. I just don't know how to get this into the
latest build or release of R?

Jeff.

---
Jeff D. Hamann