[Rd] unit testing framework for R?

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Wed Mar 17 19:53:56 MET 2004

Packages can have a 'tests' directory, which can contain foo.R and
foo.Rout.save files.  When packages are built (or checked) the output from
running R with the commands in foo.R is compared with foo.Rout.save, and
differences are reported.

The "Writing R Extensions" manual discusses this a little.  It suggests:
"Use R CMD check --help (Rcmd check --help on Windows) to obtain more
information about the usage of the R package checker. A subset of the
checking steps can be selected by adding flags."

I've considered looking at several enhancements of the testing features:
(1) automatically construct foo.R from foo.Rout.save (easy if the file only
contains simple commands issued at the standard prompt); (2) allow
specification of which test files to run; and (3) print summaries of test
successes and failures at the end of running the selected tests.  Is there
any wider interest in such features?

-- Tony Plate