[Rd] cbind/rbind fail on matrixes containing lists (PR#6702)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 27 09:00:48 CET 2004

There are no `matrixes containing lists'.  There are lists which are also
matrices, but their contents are the vector elements  (unless you meant
that it was a list of lists, which seems not be the case in your example).
In the absence of a reproducible example, it is not clear to me exactly
what you want to do.

Here is a list matrix example:

A <- matrix(as.list(1:4), 2, 2)
cbind(A, A)

It appears to be intentional (line 950 of bind.c and the actual cbind
code), in which case this is a documentation bug and I have altered the
docs.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 gregory_r_warnes at groton.pfizer.com wrote:

> Today's R 1.9.0 beta:
>
> > m1
> [1,] NA   NA   NA   NA
> [2,] NA   NA   NA   NA
> [3,] NA   NA   NA   NA
> [4,] NA   NA   NA   NA
> > class(m1[1,1])
> [1] "list"

Why not class(m1)?  It should be the same ....

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk