[Rd] boxplot.formula with missing values (PR#6846)

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Mon May 3 15:03:30 CEST 2004

Thanks for your comments. I understand this is probably the correct behavior
for a formula method, but I also think that it is not what many people
expect, and the note about NA behavior did not seem to help me. Thus, I
appreciate your adding the na.action.

Thanks,

R.

On Monday 03 May 2004 13:33, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> [...]
>
> Also, setting options(na.action=na.pass) will work as you expected.
>
> I've added an na.action argument for R-devel.
>
> On Mon, 3 May 2004 rdiaz at cnio.es wrote:
> > If an array has missing values in different rows, plotting using the
> > formul= a=20
> > interface can produce errors. Example:
>
> Well, not do what you expected, but the error appears to be in your
> expectations.
>
> > fake.data <- matrix(rep(-100:100, 4),
> >                     ncol =3D 4)
> >
> > par(mfrow =3D c(1,2))
> > boxplot(fake.data ~ col(fake.data))
> > abline(h =3D 0, lty =3D 2)
> > boxplot(as.data.frame(fake.data))
> > abline(h =3D 0, lty =3D 2)
> >
> > ##### Add the missing data
> > fake.data[190:200, 1] <- NA
> > fake.data[1:5, 3] <- NA
> >
> > ## Bot only columns 1 and 3 should change!! (and in opposite directions)
> > par(mfrow =3D c(1, 2))
> > boxplot(fake.data ~ col(fake.data))
> > abline(h =3D 0, lty =3D 2)
> > boxplot(as.data.frame(fake.data))
> > abline(h =3D 0, lty =3D 2)
> >
> > ### The problem is that the same rows are removed from all the columns:
> >
> > bp.a <- boxplot(fake.data ~ col(fake.data))
> > bp.df<- boxplot(as.data.frame(fake.data))
> >
> > ### which happens during the call to
> >
> > eval(m, parent.frame())
> >
> > inside boxplot.formula
> >
> > **********************************
> >
> > This happens in at least:
> >
> >          _               =20
> > platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
> > arch     i686            =20
> > os       linux-gnu       =20
> > system   i686, linux-gnu =20
> > status   Patched         =20
> > major    1               =20
> > minor    9.0             =20
> > year     2004            =20
> > month    05              =20
> > day      02              =20
> > language R   =20
> >
> >          _               =20
> > platform i386-pc-linux-gnu
> >
> > arch     i386            =20
> > os       linux-gnu       =20
> > system   i386, linux-gnu =20
> > status                   =20
> > major    1               =20
> > minor    8.1             =20
> > year     2003            =20
> > month    11              =20
> > day      21              =20
> > language R          =20
> >
> >          _                          =20
> > platform i686-pc-linux-gnu          =20
> > arch     i686                       =20
> > os       linux-gnu                  =20
> > system   i686, linux-gnu            =20
> > status   Under development (unstable)
> > major    2                          =20
> > minor    0.0                        =20
> > year     2004                       =20
> > month    04                         =20
> > day      30                         =20
> > language R         =20
> >

> > =2D-=20
> > Ram=F3n D=EDaz-Uriarte
> > Bioinformatics Unit
> > Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncol=F3gicas (CNIO)

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972