[Rd] windows(record=T) loses last plot (PR#3663)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 10 22:37:20 CEST 2004

The claim in the original report is that it loses the 5,9th etc plot if it
is the last, but not otherwise.  At one time the example in the report
worked (but that was a long time ago and there have been extensive
changes since then.).

The problem was that growing the list changed vDL, and Guido's macros hid
that.  A simple fix once found ....

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On Sun,  9 May 2004 00:30:14 +0200 (CEST), arnima at u.washington.edu
> wrote :
>
> >The audit trail indicates that PR#3663 is not reproducible and/or fixed,
> >but I believe windows(record=T) is still not working as documented:
> >
> > windows(record=T)
> > for(i in 1:5) plot(0, 0, cex=4, pch=as.character(i))
> >
> >After cycling through the plots with PgUp and PgDn, the user finds out
> >that plot 5 is lost. Indeed,
> >
> > .SavedPlots
> >
> >reports that only 4 plots were saved. I'm running the example in a fresh R
> >session, after rm(list=ls(all=T)), quitting, and restarting. I have
> >reproduced this bug on two machines, one with a fresh R installation.
>
> I vaguely recall that the issue was that history saving doesn't happen
> until drawing to the graph is done.  Since that never happened for the
> last one, it doesn't get saved.

That was originally true, but was changed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk