[Rd] Gmane for list?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 11 09:03:14 CEST 2004

    PD> Webb Sprague <wwsprague at ucdavis.edu> writes:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to
    >> gmane.org, so I (and everyone else) might view and search
    >> in with a newsreader?

    PD> This has already happened with R-help (aka
    PD> gmane.comp.lang.r.general), without anyone asking (or
    PD> getting...) permission,

not quite:  I (as list maintainer) *had* been asked before it
happened -- and I had mentioned it as RFC  to the R core mailing list.

    PD> and seemingly with no ill effects. So I suggest that you
    PD> wait a short while and go ahead if nobody yells out.

yes.  As I had told the person who initiated the R-help -> Gmane
I think I'd very much want the  mailing list -> News gateway to
be  "ONE WAY" only {and this is an option with gmane}.
Because mail filtering has become quite a delicate (and somewhat
complex) procedure to maintain, I'd rather not have to deal with
mail coming from a news gateway as well, where mail headers may
(or may not) have been pre-processed by the forwarding software.

Yes, please feel free to go ahead!
Martin Maechler