[Rd] compiling R 64-bit with gcc on Solaris 9

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 22 10:12:50 CEST 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Cere Davis wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to compile R as a 64bit app using gcc on Solaris 9 and get
> the following error from the configure script when passing the script
> CFLAGS='-mcpu=v9 -m64':

Did you also set FFLAGS?  Did you read and follow the example in the
R-admin manual.  I assume the latter as the INSTALL file asks you to read
that manual.

> checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... -v
> checking for Fortran libraries of g77...  -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/usr/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.3
> -L/usr/ccs/bin
> -L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.3/../../.. -lfrtbegin
> -lg2c -lm -lgcc_s

I see no sign of 64-bit libraries (sparcv9) in there.

> checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... unknown

(that's OK, as none is needed.)

> configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails
> See `config.log' for more details.
>

> I take this to mean that configure is looking for dummy main functions
> or #DEFINES in the R code right?  Has anyone seen this problem before?

No, yes.  If is saying it cannot run mixed Fortran and C code.

Please do look in the config.log file for the details, as it says (and
*please* do so before posting, as we cannot read the file for you).

When I saw this it was because the 64-bit shared libraries
(/usr/local/lib/sparcv9?) were not in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  But I believe
you have not set up your compilers compatibly, and that you did not read
the manual as requested.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk