[Rd] error in make.names docs (PR#6912)

Michael A. Miller mmiller3 at iupui.edu
Mon May 24 18:17:55 CEST 2004

    > Example output in comment is now corrected in R-patched.
    > What has the rest to do with a bug report?

This is a major show stopper which suddenly moves R code from
last month into the category of legacy code.  In my opinion, this
really should have been a major version change, not just a minor
release.

Version 1.9.0 fails to execute many R codes.  This version
dependency will require a great deal of work to check and
re-validate codes to make the switch to R 1.9.0.  That change
will then make our codes incompatible with R 1.8.1, which is our
current production version.  At the moment, I don't know how we
can handle this without great cost in time, so it seems likely
that we'll need to stay with 1.8.1.  That is unfortunate, as R's
platform dependence has made it really wonderful to use.  This
version incompatibility will make it increasingly cumbersome as
time goes on, more than offsetting the platform independence.

Mike

Michael A. Miller                               mmiller3 at iupui.edu
  Imaging Sciences, Department of Radiology, IU School of Medicine