[Rd] Re: [R] case-insensitive ZIP

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 09:45:12 CET 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Primer, Jeremy (FID) wrote:
>
> > A development note:
> >
> > In the function "install.packages", it would be helpful to those of us
> > who have atypical installations and install manually from ZIP files to

Perhaps you could tell us why you do this?  Where do you get `contributed
zipfiles' that are actually `ZIPfiles', especially as CRAN has .zip files
you could get instead?  Or is the problem in the way you get them?

> > have
> >
> > 	pkgnames <- sub("\\.zip$", "", pkgnames)
> >
> > replaced with
> >
> > 	pkgnames <- sub("\\.zip$", "", pkgnames, ignore.case = TRUE)
> >
> > because the contributed zipfiles are ZIPfiles. The routine did not work
> > for me out of the box.
>
> [moved to R-devel]
>
> Hmmm. Recent versions of R require correctly installed versions (using R
> CMD INSTALL) of the packages. It is hard work to get a file called *.ZIP
> (rather than *.zip) that contains a valid binary package for Windows.
> I'd vote against such a change, since the recent behaviour suggests
> perfectly well that the file probably won't work.

Nothing stops people with `atypical installations' amending functions to
suit their atypicality, but it is usually better to fix your local
problems that expect your tools to workaround them.

[Analogously, R CMD INSTALL will not install .tgz files on Unix, even
though some people distribute them: they are (equally) not a supported
format.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk