[Rd] barplot manpage (PR#7331)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Nov 3 20:06:27 CET 2004

Tony Plate <tplate at acm.org> writes:

> (1) Change "expansion factor" to "character scaling factor" or
> "character magnification" in the descriptions of 'cex.axis' and
> 'cex.names'

Now that's a really bad idea in my book... The "ex" in "cex" is
*ex*actly for *ex*pansion, also note the consistency with "mex".

> (The documentation for 'barplot' uses 'expansion factor', while the
> documentation for 'par' itself uses two other different terms
> 'magnification' and 'scaling' to describe various 'cex' related
> arguments.  Both common sense (my own, at least) and guidelines I
> could find on the net suggest that it is better to consistently use a
> single term to refer to a single concept.)

Yup, but I think it is ?par that could use fixing. (The description of
"mex" in there is a bit iffy as well. Why mix character sizes into
something that really deals in interline distances?)

> (2) add "par" to the "see also" section

Obvious. In a bunch of other places too, I guess.