problem with tcltk under Windows (was [Rd] RE: [R] onemore Rcmdrproblem)

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Nov 4 22:12:30 CET 2004

Dear Thomas,

Brian Ripley has already mentioned that Windows/tcltk problems have been
fixed in R 2.0.1 beta. I'll provide some background.

In addition to the control-key problems with R 2.0.0, I and my students have
been experiencing a number of Windows instability problems running the Rcmdr
this fall. The version of R that my students have is 1.9.1 patched, and the
same version is installed in the university computer labs. I found that with
this version and R 2.0.0 (under Windows 2000 and XP), running the Rcmdr
under rterm.exe rather than under rgui.exe seems to provide much better
stability. This is a reasonable solution for me since my intro stats
students interact with R only through the Rcmdr GUI.

I'm hopeful that tcltk will run more stably on Windows under R 2.0.1 with
the console provided by rgui.exe.

Regards,
 John

John Fox