[Rd] 2.0.1 buglets

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 22:20:02 CET 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> With R-2.0.1 (patched)  on Linux rhlinux 2.4.21-4.ELsmp
>
> when I configure get
> checking whether C runtime needs -D__NO_MATH_INLINES... no
> checking for xmkmf... /usr/bin/X11/xmkmf
> Usage: which [options] [--] programname [...]
>          --help,          Print this help and exit successfully.
>          --skip-dot       Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot.
>
> but everything seems to configure and make ok. Should this message be
> expect or is this a bug?

It is unexpected.  Is it new in 2.0.1 beta?  You have told us your kernel,
not your distro.  This looks like a bug, but not in R.

>  Also, I think "R CMD config --version" still has a bug, or a least it
> does not report what I would expect:
>
> ~/toolchain/R/src/R-beta:bin/R CMD config --version
> R configuration information retrieval script 1.3
>
> Copyright (C) 2002 The R Core Development Team.
> This is free software; see the GNU General Public Licence version 2
> or later for copying conditions.  There is NO warranty.

It's what it is documented to do:

gannet% R CMD config --help
Usage: R CMD config [options] [VAR]

Get the value of a basic R configure variable VAR which must be among
those listed in the 'Variables' section below, or the header and
library flags necessary for linking against R.

  -h, --help            print short help message and exit
  -v, --version         print version info and exit

All the 'R CMD foo' tools do that.

If you want the R version, that is 'R --version'.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk