[Rd] 2.0.1 buglets

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Nov 5 02:26:04 CET 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>

>>With R-2.0.1 (patched)  on Linux rhlinux 2.4.21-4.ELsmp
>>
>>when I configure get
>>checking whether C runtime needs -D__NO_MATH_INLINES... no
>>checking for xmkmf... /usr/bin/X11/xmkmf
>>Usage: which [options] [--] programname [...]
>>         --help,          Print this help and exit successfully.
>>         --skip-dot       Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot.
>>
>>but everything seems to configure and make ok. Should this message be
>>expect or is this a bug?
>>

>It is unexpected.  Is it new in 2.0.1 beta?  You have told us your kernel,
>not your distro.  This looks like a bug, but not in R.

The distro was
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)
Kernel 2.4.21-4.ELsmp on an i686

It also happens in
 SuSE SLES 8 (powered by UnitedLinux 1.0) (i586)\nKernel 2.4.19-64GB-SMP
(6).

It is not new, it also happened in 2.0.0

>> Also, I think "R CMD config --version" still has a bug, or a least it
>>does not report what I would expect:

>It's what it is documented to do:
>  -v, --version         print version info and exit

Ok, it could be clearer (at least to me) that this means version of the
script.

>If you want the R version, that is 'R --version'.

I've been using this, but to make it into a file name I need to do some
stripping out of the extra stuff. (And tail and head on Solaris do not
use -n whereas Linux wants this, so it becomes difficult to be
portable.) Is there a way to get just "R-2.0.1"  from R or R CMD something?

Thanks,
Paul