[Rd] wishlist: better error message in R CMD check

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Sat Nov 6 14:01:25 CET 2004

Gabor,

I guess is that you did not try to run R CMD INSTALL before R CMD check.  R
CMD check will try to install the package first (in pkg.Rcheck), and only if
that's successful would checks be done.

The installation process will concatenate all R files in R/ to a single file
and essentially source() that in upon package loading.  That's where you
would see the syntax error.  I believe the recommended way is to install the
package and play with that a bit first, before doing R CMD check.  You'd
find some problems are much easier to find that way (e.g., errors in
NAMESPACE).

Cheers,
Andy