[Rd] install/build/build --binary

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sat Nov 6 17:20:27 CET 2004

I have question regarding package installation.

What is the difference between check, INSTALL, build and
build --binary, which imply which and what order does one
normally perform them?  I have been trying:

R CMD build /mypackage
R CMD check /mypackage
R CMD build --binary /mypackage

in that order but wanted to check that this is right.

Also, what portion of the check process can be run right from R rather
than from a script and assuming my package is in /mypackage and its
subdirectories what R command(s) from tools do I issue?  It occurs to
me that if I do it from R rather than from scripts I could turn on
debugging on the relevant tools command and more easily find out
what they are checking when things go bad to help me track down
my problems.

I am using Windows XP and R 2.0.1beta .

Thanks.