[Rd] RFC install.packages() changes

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Sun Nov 7 21:27:57 CET 2004

> From: Prof Brian Ripley
>
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>
> > Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> >
> > >install/update.packages() in R-devel has been enhanced in
> a few ways,
> > >notably to handle multiple repositories, and to allow
> packages to be
> > >reinstalled under the current version of R.
> > >
> > >1) Currently they will ask if you want to delete the
> downloaded files (if
> > >any) *provided* destdir was not specified.  In that case it uses a
> > >subdirectory of the per-session temporary directory, so
> the files will be
> > >deleted at the end of the R session anyway.
> > >
> > >We had a request to make the questioning optional.  I
> propose to remove it
> > >altogether, and either
> > >
> > >a) delete the downloaded files at the end of install.packages or
> > >b) leave them in the per-session directory to be deleted
> at the end of the
> > >session.
> > >
> > >that is to force answer 'y' or 'n' respectively.  Does
> anyone see any
> > >problems with a)?
> > >

> > I would prefer b), as I am downloading from the Rgui menu
> and then moves
> > downloaded packages
> > to a c:\download... area which I use to burn CD-roms I
> distribute to
> > many people. If  a) is choosen I guess
> > I could learn to use it from the command line, though. What is the
> > problem with b)?
>
> Potentially leaving 1Gb or so of files in a temporary directory. So
> probably no big deal.

My personal preference would be a).  Kjetil's usage seems like a bit of an
abuse, and one should be able to write something that does that specific
task (e.g., modify update.packages() to something called
download.packages()), rather than relying on a function in R that's meant
for something else.

One thing that concerns me a bit (I haven't check whether the concern is
warranted) is package dependency:  If the new version of a package on CRAN
requires, e.g., a newer version of R than what the user has, what happens
then?

Andy