[Rd] Re: [R] R works on Fedora Core 3

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 09:05:26 CET 2004

[Moved to R-devel.]

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Jonathan Baron wrote:

> The RPM for Fedora Core 2 seems to work just fine on Core 3.

That's not what the subject line says, and is it really true? The RPM for
FC2 (I built one on x86_64, but I think it will be the same on your
unstated architecture) has gcc 3.3.3 hardwired, and FC3 does not have gcc
3.3.3 (but 3.4.2).  So does installing packages containing Fortran code
work `just fine'?  (I am not sure if an update to FC3 would have 3.3.3
as well.)

Second problem: gcc 3.4.2 does not work `just fine': it has a pesky bug
that causes several CRAN packages to fail/give incorrect answers.  Now
Linux distros have a very nasty habit of distributing bug-enhanced
versions of major software, so this may be fixed in FC3 but in any case
gcc-3.4.3 is now out and a worthwhile upgrade.  (Apparently Mandrake
backported the bug to `3.4.1' ....)

I would recommend either installing from the sources or building from the
SRPM.  Hopefully by the end of the week we will have some i686 machines on
FC3 (only x86_64 so far) and so be able to make RPMs available.

> (The graphics window got smaller, but I'm sure there is a setting
> for that.)

If you mean the x11() device window, it should by default have a 7" square
canvas.  If it does not, there is a bug in your X11 configuration (which
would not at all surprise me, as so far none of my systems reports the ppi
of the screen accurately, and some have been way off).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk