[Rd] inst/CITATION produced error during Rcmd check <package>

Pfaff, Bernhard Bernhard.Pfaff at drkw.com
Fri Nov 12 09:42:12 CET 2004

> That you are getting FIND not `find' suggests that you have
> not followed
> the instructions in README.packages correctly.  Please ensure you have
> followed

Dear Prof. Ripley and Gabor,

a big thanks to both of you for your quick and concise response.
Yes, I did have read README.packages as well as  src/gnuwin32/INSTALL, but
obviously not carefully enough; hence it is ill-tempted to set the correct
order in the environment variable section for a *user* only, as I did
erroneously, but rather in the *system variable* section (start -> Settings
-> Control Panel -> System -> Environment Variables...). Incidentally, this
error slipped my notice since 2001. It seems that I came around with this
before using an 'inst' subdirectory for the first time.

Having said this, would it be possible and sensible to alter
src/gnuwin32/INSTALL and src/gnuwin332/README.packages in the following way:

Citation (emphasized words enclosed by ***):

BEWARE: `Native' ports of make are _not_ suitable (including that at
the mingw site).  There were also problems with several earlier
versions of the cygwin tools and dll.  To avoid frustration, please
use our tool set, and make sure it is at the front of ***your path***
(including before the Windows system directories).

Proposal:
Change ***your path*** and at the other places of its occurence in the two
documents into ***your system variables path***.

Reason:
***your path*** could be misinterpreted as the ***user path*** that might
contain Windows system directories, too. Hence, it should be made clearer
that is the path in *system variables* that matters.

What is your opinion on this issue, Prof. Ripley? Would it make sense in
your eyes, too? If so, I stand up to volunteer by applying these changes and
send you the two files off-line.

Best Regards,
Bernhard