[Rd] Loading libraries in 2.0.0 (PR#7364)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 23:41:22 CET 2004

Where do you think the bug is here?  Both the NEWS file (in the very first
section) and the rw-FAQ tell you explicitly that packages (sic) have to be
reinstalled for 2.0.0.  So does the error message you quote.  What do you
think

     o   Packages must have been re-installed for this version, and
         library() will enforce this.

means?  Why do you think the major number has been changed from 1 to 2?

Since you are clearly not sure, the FAQ specifically asks you NOT to file
a bug report but to ask someone who knows.

There are updated Windows builds for Lindsey's `libraries' on his site.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 paul.louisell at pw.utc.com wrote:

> I'm using version 2.0.0 of R on a Windows 2000 OS. Packages that I installed
> in 1.9.1 are not installing properly in 2.0.0. Specifically, I can install
> packages from local zip files with the following code (which I execute
> through the GUI):
>
>> install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]),
> .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
> updating HTML package descriptions
>> install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]),
> .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
> updating HTML package descriptions
>
> The packages do show up in the html help files after installing them. But
> the packages won't load when I use the library command:
>
>> library(repeated)
> Error in library(repeated) : 'repeated' is not a valid package -- installed
> < 2.0.0?
>
> Moreover, the package also shows up when I use the 'help' parameter in the
> library command:
>
>> library(help=repeated)

Yes, the package is there but it is not valid -- as the error message
says.  Whatever DO you think the message means?