[Rd] bug in methods' 'initialize' (or the functions called in turn) ?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Nov 17 11:05:14 CET 2004

Laurent Gautier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I experience a very strange behaviour when trying to instanciate a S4
> class. A call like 'r <- new("MyClass", foo="bar")' returns apparently
> cleanly, but in fact a subsequent use of 'r' results in a 'r does not
> exist error message'. After a bit of hunting with 'debug', it seems that
> the bug is in 'initialize' (or one of the functions it calls in turn).
> All this while using R-devel from Nov. 16th (R-2.0.1-devel).
>
> I did manage to make a simple example to reproduce the bug, but to do so
> one needs few packages from the bioconductor project. If this is not yet
> know and one shows interest, I can provide the few lines of code needed
> to reproduce it.

Two points:

a) yes, please alsways specify a simple reproducible example when
talking about a "bug";

b) if this "bug" does not appear in R-2.0.1 but only in the current
R-devel, it might be worth to wait a couple of days. Perhaps someone is
including some new functionality and has not yet finished the updates.

Uwe Ligges