[Rd] Building Packages on Windows using .Rbuildignore

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Nov 17 19:10:20 CET 2004

I have some questions about building packages in Windows
when using .Rbuildignore .  The part of the process that
is of interest here is the part that creates the source
tree from the tree that contains the .Rbuildignore file.
That is, the part of the process that does a build of
the original tree creating a .tar.gz and then extracts
this file into a source directory that can be used by
check, build --binary and install.

1. makefiles

I was developing some batch files for myself using R CMD ...
but then noticed the Windows makefiles.

- Do the makefiles take into account the situation above?

- If so, do I need to do anything special to use them this way?

2. configure.win

Also I noticed reference to configure.win in the Extensions
manual and am not sure if that can be used to address this.
I tried creating a one line configure.win which just does
an echo of a fixed string "echo XYZ" but I did not see XYZ
during my R CMD install.

- Is configure.win supposed to be written using Windows batch commands
  or UNIX-like commands?

- where does it go.  (I tried putting it in the same directory as
  my DESCRIPTION file.)

- is it a suitable device for handling the .Rbuildignore issue?

Thanks.