[Rd] Method dispatch S3/S4 through optimize()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 18 22:34:57 CET 2004

I have been running into difficulties with dispatching on an S4 class
defined in the SparseM package, when the method calls are inside a
function passed as the f= argument to optimize() in functions in the spdep
package. The S4 methods are typically defined as:

setMethod("det","matrix.csr", function(x, ...) det(chol(x))^2)

that is within setMethod() rather than by name before the setMethod().

When called from within functions passed as the f= argument to optimize,
the S3 generics for det() and chol() get picked up, not the S4 generics
for the S4 SparseM classes. This looks for instance like (from
example(boston)):

> gp2 <- lagsarlm(log(CMEDV) ~ CRIM + ZN + INDUS + CHAS + I(NOX^2) + I(RM^2)
+  +  AGE + log(DIS) + log(RAD) + TAX + PTRATIO + B + log(LSTAT),
+  data=boston.c, nb2listw(boston.soi), method="SparseM")
matrix.csr
Error in chol(tmp1) : non-numeric argument to chol

(this is the error message in chol.R in base). tmp1 is of class
"matrix.csr", but is being sent to the S3 class (error in function
sar.lag.mix.f.sM() in R/lag.spsarlm.R).

sar.lag.mix.f.sM <- function(rho, W, e.a, e.b, e.c, n, quiet)
{
	SSE <- e.a - 2*rho*e.b + rho*rho*e.c
	s2 <- SSE/n
	tmp1 <- asMatrixCsrIrW(W, rho)
cat(class(tmp1), "\n")
	tmp2 <- chol(tmp1)
#	tmp2 <- .cholMatrixCsr(tmp1)
cat(class(tmp2), "\n")
	tmp3 <- (tmp2 at det)^2
cat(tmp3, "\n")
	ret <- (log(tmp3)
		- ((n/2)*log(2*pi)) - (n/2)*log(s2) - (1/(2*s2))*SSE)
	if (!quiet)
	    cat("(SparseM) rho:\t", rho, "\tfunction value:\t", ret, "\n")
	ret
}

Three further observations:

1) In a simpler case:

> library(spdep)
[1] "SparseM library loaded"
> example(similar.listw)
smlr.l> log(det(asMatrixCsrIrW(asMatrixCsrListw(similar.listw(COL.W)), 0.5)))
[1] -1.627660

just works, and the appropriate det() and chol() are found; det()
dispatches on class "matrix.csr" and finds the right chol() for that
class - this is the same code context as found in the function passed to
optimize();

2) When the R source file containing the lagsarlm() function, and the
function sent as f= through optimize is sourced(), the appropriate det()
and chol() are found; and

3) When the SparseM R code is modified, and the function defined prior to
its setMethod (so visible as a function independently of setMethod) and
called by name rather than as a method, everything works, as it should.
But this isn't a solution, setMethod() defined methods should dispatch on
class irrespective of context, I think.

SparseM does not have a namespace, spdep does, but I don't think this is
the issue. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with SparseM either,
because of 1).

I've put a copy of the problematic spdep on:

http://reclus.nhh.no/R/spdep/spdep_0.2-24.tar.gz

should that be of any use, the issue is present in both R-2.0.1 and
R-devel (2004-11-16), SparseM is 0.52.

I hope that I'm missing something fairly obvious.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no