[Rd] Re: Method dispatch S3/S4 through optimize()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Nov 20 22:11:23 CET 2004

After looking at this with Roger Koenker off-list, the problem can be
replicated running R CMD check tryout on:

http://reclus.nhh.no/R/Devel/tryout_0.1-1.tar.gz

With a NAMESPACE file in tryout, the S4 dispatch breaks down for det(),
without a NAMESPACE file, it runs without error (on R-devel with SparseM
0.52 for me). Roger pointed me to

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/04a/0042.html

which looks similar, but was said to be resolved. A practical but too
invasive correction is to change the SparseM code to:

setGeneric("Det", function(x, ...) standardGeneric("Det"))
setMethod("Det","matrix",get("det", pos=NULL, mode= "function"))
setMethod("Det","matrix.csr", function(x, ...) Det(chol(x))^2)
setMethod("Det","matrix.csr.chol", function(x, ...) x at det)

rather than original below, the alternative is to drop NAMESPACE in
spdep, which is not desirable either.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand