[Rd] Building Packages on Windows using .Rbuildignore (PR#7379)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Nov 22 03:08:54 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:54:53 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at myway.com> wrote:

>Assuming that the behavior of the R CMD commands is changed
>so that they respect .Rbuildignore but that no flag or
>switch is immediately implemented to turn on and off
>.Rbuildignore processing

That's a premature assumption.  At the moment it seems there are two
other proposals on the table:

 - no change other than the bug fix.  Then if you want to use
.Rbuildignore, you use Rcmd build to make a tarball, and do everything
else (check, build binary, etc.) from the tarball

- some sort of change that allows you to turn .Rbuildignore on and
off.

> I have the following workaround
>to allow the user to implement either situation.
>It is simple enough that it does not require a script.
>I have not actually tried it out yet since the changed
>commands are not yet available.

>It applies to Windows or UNIX but is described below relative
>to Windows and to an assumed folder tree called mypkg
>which is the folder that contains .Rbuildignore.
>
>1. in Windows Explorer create a second folder called
>mypkg-shortcuts
>
>2. select all files and folders directly within mypkg except
>.Rbuildignore and right-click drag them to mypkg-shortcuts
>selecting Create ShortCut after letting up on the right
>mouse button.  That will create a shortcut to each file and
>folder in mypkg.  (Note that the files and folders dragged
>include DESCRIPTION, R, man, etc. directly in mypkg but
>not the .files another level deep such as the .R and .Rd
>files within R and man.)

I don't think it will work in Windows.  Windows shortcuts aren't soft
links, they're just files that the shell sometimes interprets that
way.  Most other programs just see them as regular files, and won't
know to use them as links.

Duncan Murdoch