[Rd] Suggestions for packages / help / index (long mail)

Eric Lecoutre lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
Wed Nov 24 15:15:27 CET 2004

At 15:06 24/11/2004, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>Eric Lecoutre <lecoutre <at> stat.ucl.ac.be> writes:
>
>: 6. Final point has already been discussed in the past. It is about misc
>: packages and pieces of code. I propose the creation of 5 packages:
>:       - miscGraphics (keywords: misc, Graphics)
>:       - miscStatistics (keywords: misc, Statistics)
>:       - miscMathematics (keywords: misc, Mathematics)
>:       - miscBasics (keywords: misc, Basics)
>:       - miscProgramming (keywords: misc, Programming)
>
>Rather than preset the categories perhaps evolving them would
>be better, just starting out with a single Misc package and then
>decomposing it into multiple packages as the categories become
>clear.

Those categories are taken from KEYWORDS (master entries). I guess it
wouldn't be difficult to still have substancial entries for those packages,
if some misc package maintainer would make the job to break their package
into pieces. BTW, I have to admit this choice is not easy to make for
several reasons, the main one beeing to keep the ability to modify one's
own contributions.
For those packages, a collaborative plattform such as SourceForge and so
on, with Sync-ability, could be a good choice.

Eric

Eric Lecoutre
UCL /  Institut de Statistique
Voie du Roman Pays, 20
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

tel: (+32)(0)10473050
lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISpersonnel/lecoutre

If the statistics are boring, then you've got the wrong numbers. -Edward
Tufte