[Rd] Version names

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sun Nov 28 23:58:53 CET 2004

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:

:
: On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:11:15 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
: <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> wrote:
:
: >Renaming is not really workable if you are giving your scripts to others.
: >They won't want build scripts that rename their folders.
: >
: >: Another possibility is to have your build script split up the name and
: >: apply a custom sort order to it.
: >:
: >: The pattern is:
: >:
: >: "rw" + version number + suffix
: >:
: >: The suffices appear in this order:  "dev", "alpha", "beta", "", "pat"
: >: (where not all appear, e.g. "dev" never appears for a minor release,
: >: and sometimes "alpha" is skipped).
: >
: >Its really desirable to keep Windows batch scripts as simple as
: >possible and such a transformation is trickier than you might
: >think in the Windows batch language.
:
: You need a better scripting language!

Quite so but unfortunately if I want to produce a script
that has no dependencies then I need to use what is provided
in Windows and Windows batch commands seem to be the best
way to do that.