[Rd] pausing between plots - waiting for graphics input

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Nov 30 21:45:27 CET 2004

Paul Murrell <p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> > use the existing NewFrameConfirm or equivalent as a default.  However,
> > I'm going to try a more roundabout implementation just for the Windows
> > device first, just to see if I like it.
>

> This sounds like the general problem of being able to capture keyboard
> input on a graphics device (a key-stroke equivalent of dev_locator).
> Robert has been keen on this for a while too.

We might want to think a bit more carefully about the ergonomics. It
is actually not very obvious for users to send keypresses to a
graphics window, unlesse there's a "Press any key" style instruction
somewhere, and preferably not in a partially obscured console. A
"Continue" button would be a much more obvious GUI design.

> It would presumably be not too difficult to implement something modal
> (like dev_locator) - in effect, a dev_eventloop, which blocks the
> command line and processes events (both mouse clicks and key strokes)
> in a particular graphics window until a prearranged event to quit.
> Nasty modal behaviour, but doable and obviously useful in some ways.
> Any interest in that?

Sure, but the general structure probably needs a bit of attention.
There could be different preferred methods for different devices,
possibly with the current method as a fallback.

> A much nicer solution of course would be asynchronous event handling
> in the graphics window (i.e., you don't block the command line), but
> that depends on the event loop integration problem being solved and
> that does not look like happening soon.

Not sure we really want that actually. What if someone issues a plot
command from the command line?