[Rd] "R CMD check" with R 2.0.0

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 7 21:27:37 CEST 2004

Hi

Deepayan Sarkar wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2004 08:55, Berwin A Turlach wrote:
>
>>G'day all,
>>
>>I am not sure whether I should file this as a bug report, but I
>>thought that I should make the developers of R aware of the following
>>feature:
>>
>>I have just installed R 2.0.0 and when I run "R CMD check" on the
>>source of some packages, I noticed that the XXX-examples.ps file
>>contains one page with two graphics overlaid.  This seems to happen
>>when the first graphic is produced that uses the lattice() package.
>>I.e. as long as the examples use non-lattice graphics command, each
>>graphic is on its own page; the first graphic produced by a lattice
>>command (well, xyplot each time in the packages tested) is put on the
>>same page as the last graphic, after this, each graphic is again on a
>>page off its own regardless of whether it was produced by a lattice
>>graphics command or a non-lattice graphics command.
>

> I can confirm this, e.g. with
>

>>postscript()
>>plot(1)
>>xyplot(2 ~ 2)
>>dev.off()
>

> (not that obvious on screen because the dark background overwrites the
> first plot). The underlying reason seems to be grid not knowing whether
> to start a new page the first time:
>

>>x11()
>>plot(1)
>>grid.newpage()
>>grid.points(x = runif(10), y = runif(10), vp = viewport())
>

> Paul, any ideas?

Yep, it's grid causing the problem.  The very first grid.newpage() on a
device will not start a new page IF a traditional plot had previously
been drawn on the device.  This will be fixed for 2.0.1.

In the meantime, there is a simple workaround for users.  On a screen
device, the effect will probably not be noticed (as one of Deepayan's
examples demonstrates).  On a file device like PostScript, it may mean
people have to rerun code and insert a grid.newpage() before the first
lattice call.

Apologies for the botch-up.

Paul
--