[Rd] user interface and documentation of setIs and setAs, some suggestions (S4).

Witold Eryk Wolski wolski at molgen.mpg.de
Fri Oct 8 15:18:45 CEST 2004

By reading the documentation for _setIs_ I noted that for the same
object three different names are used.

1) the name of the first argument in the functions coerce and replace in
setIs must be _obj_ (see example section or)
setIs("MVCa","list",coerce=function(obj){obj at list},replace=function(obj,value){obj at list<-value})

2) At the same time in the usage section:
setIs(class1, class2, test=NULL, coerce=NULL, replace=NULL,
           by = character(), where = topenv(parent.frame()), classDef =,
           extensionObject = NULL, doComplete = TRUE)
3) and finally in the argument section:
    the object to 'class2', and to alter the object so that
          'is(object, class2)' is identical to 'value'.

I much more like how setAs is implemented, we cast _from_  _to_  and so
the arguments in all this functions are named. Its much more consistent.

I would also suggest to replace the keyword _def_ in the setAs function
by _coerce_ as it is in the setIs function.
I thinke it will be nicer if bot methods will have a unified user
interface if possible. Of corse it may be that this is not possible for
reasons not known to me. In this case sorry.

/E

--
Dipl. bio-chem. Witold Eryk Wolski
MPI-Moleculare Genetic