[Rd] Dumb question time - R patched vs. R devel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 18:53:16 CEST 2004

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps my memory from 1.9.0 is gone and I need to be taking more
> Ginko/Ginseng....
>
> The current R patched tarballs and diff file
> (ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-release.diff.gz) appear to be
> for 1.9.1 as opposed to 2.0.0 if my read of the files is correct.

Correct.

> The current devel tarballs are labelled with a version of 2.1.0. Makes
> sense.
>
> If the R patched tarballs and diff file are for 1.9.1, are patches
> actually being applied to 1.9.1 or are these files simply being
> auto-made as the result of a daily script against the 1.9.1 subversion
> repository?

The latter. They should be ignored until Martin Maechler is able to create
the correct ones.

> Is there indeed any tarball/diff file for the 2.0.0 patched version?

No.

> I have been trying to avoid using subversion (given past discussions)
> and downloading tarballs when I need to update my working version.

The only way to get R-patched from the R-2-0-patches branch is by
svn co https://svn.r-project/R/branches/R-2-0-patches.  But be prepared to
be patient, as it had not completed for me in 2 hours this morning.
Also, as the date-stamp is not being updated, it will report the wrong
date.

I suggest ignoring R-patched for now.  All the patches are in R-devel, and
only a very small number of other things.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk