[Rd] two help problems in R-2.0.0 for Windows (PR#7269)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Oct 9 10:13:52 CEST 2004

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de wrote:
> >

> >>Well, for htmlhelp, there is another error. The browser (e.g. Mozilla
> >>1.7.3) tries to open "T:\R\library\stats\html/Normal.html" and has
> >>problems with different kinds of slashes (/ vs. \).
> >

> > I can't reproduce that.  I get forward slashes only. Can you track down
> > where the \ are coming from?
>

> Brian,
>
> you are right, in the object "file", there are only forward slashes.
> Looks like Mozilla (1.7.3) cannot interpret
> "T:/R/library/stats/html/Normal.html" and it changes the string in its
> navigation bar to: "T:\R\library\stats\html/Normal.html"
>
> Specifying "file:///T:/R/library/stats/html/Normal.html" works, but the
> "file:///" part seems to be required if using forward slashes.
>
> Note that the fix to use
> chartr("/", "\\", file)
> is also used in help.start(). I guess there was a reason to include it.

One reason was not to confuse human readers, who get a message containing
the file path.

It seemed strange that Mozilla 1.7.3 fails whereas Firefox succeeds (and
even IE6 succeeds).  So I installed Mozilla to find out, and it does work
for me (Windows XP SP2).  So it's something to do with your system vs
mine, not different browsers.

I think I need to do some more extensive tests to decide if the right fix
is to use a filespec with \ or a file:// URL.  One problem about the
latter is that some browser used to require : replaced by | -- I think it
was Netscape4 but I don't know if it is relevant.