[Rd] R 2.0.0 (PR#7272)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 10 12:59:24 CEST 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 xiao.gang.fan at libertysurf.fr wrote:

> Full_Name: Xiao Gang FAN
> Version: 2.0.0
> OS: Windows
> Submission from: (NULL) (82.226.247.142)
>

> After installing the new version 2.0.0 (downloaded binary),
> I've got 2 unexpected behavious vs 1.9.1:
>
> 1. When installing some packages from source, the making process
> stoped with the following message:
>
> ---------- Making package toto ------------
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>   making DLL ...
>   ... DLL made
>   installing DLL
>   installing R files
>   installing data files
>   no man files in this package
>   installing indices
> Error in read.table(zfile, header = TRUE) :
>         more columns than column names
> Execution halted
> make[2]: *** [indices] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-toto] Error 2
> *** Installation of toto failed ***

What is package toto?  How are we supposed to reproduce this?

Why do you think this is a bug in R and not in the package?
Several hundred packages have been installed successfully, and we do test
those which are on public repositories.  People with private packages were
asked to test R during the alpha/beta test period.

It looks to me like an error in one of the data files in the package,
something which was not checked in 1.9.1 (and several packages it seems
never used one or more of their data files).  That is in the NEWS file.

> 2. CHM Help showing blank page, for example: ?read.delim

Already reported (PR#7269) and fixed.  (More accurately, it shows a
`page cannot be displayed' message for us.)

Why did you send this twice?  Please don't waste our time clearing up
after duplicate reports.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk