problem with tcltk under Windows (was [Rd] RE: [R] one more Rcmdr problem)

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Oct 13 19:30:49 CEST 2004

Dear Adrian,

As I suspected, this is not a problem specific to the Rcmdr but is
rather a more general tcltk/Windows problem. The following works fine
in R 1.9.1 (and before, I assume) but reliably crashes R 2.0.0
(including the latest Windows patched version on CRAN) under Windows XP
Prof:

library(tcltk)
top <- tktoplevel()
textwindow <- tktext(top, bg="white", height=10, width=40, wrap="none")
tkgrid(textwindow)

Then, with the cursor in the text windows, press any Ctrl-key
combination to crash Rgui.

I'm cc'ing R-windows at R-project.org.

Regards,
 John