[Rd] install.packages question / suggestion

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Oct 22 20:06:46 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Thomas Stabla wrote:
> > 1) install.packages("<package>") will install <package>, no matter if
> >    <package> has already been installed.
> > 2) the readline() at the end of install.packages, which asks the user, if
> >    the downloaded files should be deleted, makes it difficult to
> >    delete packages automatically after installation (I must admit, I'm not
> >    quite familiar with R CMD BATCH)
> >

> > Question/Request:
> > Is the behaviour in 1) intended?
>
> Most definitely.  I might want to install it in another library, or to
> reinstall it under the current version of R.

Or, as happened to me about an hour ago: You install a package with a
dozen dependencies, then realize that you want to rerun with
dependencies=TRUE.

> > 2) I'd like to have another bool argument, which determines, if the
> > downloaded files should be deleted.
>
> What do you think 'destdir' is there for?  If set, this check is skipped.
> You can set it to tempdir() if you like, which is wiped at the end of the
> session.

Hmm, a bit indirect, isn't it? Adding a 'delete' argument wouldn't
harm, I suppose. Or use 'ask', which could sensibly be passed down
from update.packages().