[Rd] R 2.0.0: namespaces, S4 classes & versioned package installation: failure to resolve correct pkg version

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 24 07:47:38 CEST 2004

The first issue here is that

library("stats4_2.0.0")

is incorrect: the package name is "stats4".  You meant, I hope,

library("stats4", version="2.0.0")

and the methods package is correctly using "stats4" as the package name.
The idea of versioned installs is that only the package name is changed,
so that binary versions of packages can be installed as is or under the
version name.

Those who implemented this have not envisaged situations such as you
describe.  For example, require("stats4") requires an unversioned load if
possible, even though there may already be a versioned install loaded, and
as.environment("package:stats4") fails since search() is reporting
package:stats4_2.0.0.  Because this has not been thought through, some
functions require decorated package names and some do not.

Because versioning of namespaces is not implemented, using versioned
installs and import/export with namespaces is broken in 2.0.0 (but will
work up to a point in 2.0.1).

> For ensuring long term reproducible results we so far have used the
> versioned package maintenance concept and certaily would like to
> continue doing so.

I really don't understand that.  R packages are _always_ versioned.
You only need versioned installs if you want to install two versions into
the same library (or load into the same session, but the latter is not
supported and was said originally not to be a goal).  Some of us have for
many years just used separate libraries, which does work.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk